December 20, 2006

Of Mucous and Reindeer Heads

As you may know, we went to Camden this past weekend to see 26 of my nearest and dearest relatives at the yearly South Carolina free-for-all known as Aunt Pat's Christmas. These are the relatives that have been involved in assorted misadventures involving lion ownership, gunplay on the highway, moonshine and shotguns, and haunted houses. It's good to be a southerner.

The Boy had developed a slight cough before we left. But it was slight. Barely even worth mentioning.

We drove down Friday night, and slept in a hotel room with one of those stupid heater/air-conditioning units that doesn't have a thermostat, so you're up and down all night either turning it off or on or fiddling with the knobs.

I slept in the bed with The Boy and his slight cough.

The next day we visited my cousin on vicodin (the cousin, not us, although some vicodin would have been useful once we crammed all 26 of us inside a confined area), ate a big meal, opened some gifts, and then got back in the car and drove back to Raleigh to make it in time for Sunday's Bell Ringing and Preschool Christmas Pageant Extravaganza, in which I totally lost my place mid-piece, the piano accompianist totally forgot to show up in time to play the first piece, the organist got about 3 measures ahead--we had a guest organist, because our regular organist fell and broke his hand--and some other kid tried to take my kid's place as the third wise man, prompting the THAT MOM glare of doom from me until the situation was rectified. I did not spend 3 hours in a car with an excitable wise-man-to-be just to be thwarted by some random Kindergartener. Seriously. Talk to me about Christmas cheer and assorted mushy nonsense AFTER I successfully procure the video of the 3 kings that my mother threatened me about.

The Boy's cough was a little worse. And I was feeling a bit, shall we say, stuffy. But I soldiered on. After all, I had gifts to wrap and crap to bake and a house to clean and Target to visit.

Welcome to Monday. And a call from the school about my bronchially-challenged son. And a call from an astro-physicist about a seriously kickass discovery. And a call from some very earnest scientists concerning biomass, ethanol, and saving the world.

Yeah. But mucous takes precedence, so home I went. Then there was a marathon trip in which I tried to procure actual Sudafed, not the fake crap that doesn't work, then some baking, and Christmas card addressing, and cleaning, and more Sudafed for me.

Tuesday found Hublet at home with The Boy, and he was secretly happy about that, because his school is in the throes of pre-Christmas vacation gooberness. Cue more baking and Christmas cheer. And more Sudafed. And a call from my mom who has come down with whatever it was The Boy has.

Today finds me running dangerously low on Sudafed, freaking out about astrophysics, and preparing to head to The Boy's Kindgergarten to make Rudolph heads out of Wonder Bread, Peanut Butter, M&Ms and pretzels.

So if you don't hear from me any more this week, it's because I'm either
a) Dead from Mucous and lack of Sudafed, or
b) Dead from Christmas cheer-related activities, or
c) Sitting comatose in front of the TV watching Little People, Big World and drinking Irish Coffees by the gallon.

Just so you know.

Posted by Big Arm Woman at December 20, 2006 11:32 AM

Don't you just love Little People,Big World? Christmas will be over soon.

Posted by: Emily Nelson at December 20, 2006 06:36 PM

I saw Little People, Big World just before lunch today. The small twin was in the process of puking. Lunch was much later than planned.

Er... Merry Christmas.

Posted by: TwistedFork at December 21, 2006 05:21 PM

Damn did that handbell piece suck! Where did the pianist go? And was she planning on apologizing? I screwed up so bad...mainly because I was deep in thought wondering when the piano part was going to kick in.

Hope you all feel better.

Posted by: Belle at December 21, 2006 07:26 PM